Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our 52 lb chow/husky mix ate 2 slices of Canadian bacon and

Customer Question

Customer: our 52 lb chow/husky mix ate 2 slices of Canadian bacon and later vomited and diarrhea. She drank about 3 bowls of water during this time. Now she is just resting and seems ok but larthgetic today. All vomiting and diahra has stopped . Should we take her to the vet or what should we feed her today?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just did she is 11 years old and before was fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, please
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that the bacon didn't agree with your dog but gastrointestinal signs are often ones which can be seen after dietary indiscretion of this sort.

I'm glad that she's no longer experiencing any gastrointestinal signs but I can understand why she might seem a little lethargic today. The loss of electrolytes from her gi issues could easily cause it.

I'm not certain that an ER visit is necessary, not just yet anyway. I might treat her as outlined below to see if she's going to start behaving like her normal self:

1. I'd wait for 8-12 hours after her last bout of vomiting before feeding her. Then, rather than her regular diet, I'd feed her a small amount of 1 part boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast to 4 parts of 20-minute white rice, 3-4 times a day.

2. I'd let her drink only a small amount of water at one time if it's been a few hours since she last vomited. Pedialyte is an excellent option in this situation since it can help to replace electrolytes which she may have lost.

3. Over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) can be given which may help with any residual nausea issues. The dose would be 10 mg twice a day for a dog her size.

More than likely, she'll be just fine if her gi issues were related to the bacon she ate (which makes sense); however, if she continues to remain lethargic and/or she doesn't want to eat and/or her gi issues return, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps and that she's back to normal soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going with her? Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was so worry by Sunday, her stools had blood in them, found a vet open on Sunday and treating her for pancreatitis ulcer. They gave her antibiotics, anti vomiting and a stomach costing medicine. She lost about 7 lbs in those 3 days. But she is doing fine and wants to play ball. Thank you for your help.
She
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Thanks so much for taking the time to send me an update. It sounds as if she was much sicker than I initially thought but I'm glad that she seems to have recovered so quickly....although probably not as relieved as you are:)

Take care, Deb