Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ate raisens last night. She threw some of them up. I

Customer Question

My dog ate raisens last night. She threw some of them up. I took her in and they induced the vomiting more and it was just bile. They have her in an iV and they did blood work and it all came back normal. No signs of renal failure. They want to keep her for 3 days. I don't think I can afford it. Would it be safe to bring her home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The recommendation right now is 48 hours on IV fluids after getting into grapes or raisins. Personally, I usually just keep the dogs for the initial 24 hours. If the kidney values are normal after that time, I send them home. I may have them recheck in another 2-3 days, but I don't usually keep them longer in the hospital. I do that based on personal experience with the dogs and knowledge of kidney physiology. We don't know the toxic component yet, so the time recommendation is just a recommendation- it's not based on a known toxicology study. I hope that makes sense.

If all you can do is make her vomit and then do some activated charcoal and sub Q fluids under the skin- that is better than nothing. Most grape/ raisin ingestions cause no problems. The recommendations are to be on the safe side and error on the side of caution.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.