Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Beagle mixed she has diabetes, heart failure ,kidney

Customer Question

Beagle mixed she has diabetes , heart failure ,kidney failure,hyper calcemia ,she is 23.1 pounds her condition score 7 out of 9 . She will not eat her dog food but will any thing else. I am force feeding her,don't want to keep doing this. Need veterinary nutritionist to formulate a diet for her since she will not eat dog food, but do not know who to contact.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! I do have a website I recommend to my clients that has been given to me at several veterinary conferences as a good source for making a homemade diet for dogs with different diseases. It is called https://secure.balanceit.com/index.php. You can select different diseases/conditions your dog has an have a diet formulated based on this. Another option would be to consult the veterinary nutrition department at the vet school nearest you. What state do you live in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Clarksville Tennessee
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

So you can have the University of Tennessee veterinary nutritionists formulate a diet specifically for your pet as well. It will require your vet filling out a form for your pet's specific case. You can find the information on the link here: http://www.vet.utk.edu/petnutrition/servicesweprovide.php

There is a charge for that process, but then the diet will be exactly tailored to your pet.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

If that isn't an option, I would look into the balanceit.com website, which will provide you with general recipes for pets with various medical conditions.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if those links came through and work- sometime there are issues with attaching them and I want to be sure you got them!!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But this is not helping figure out what she needs . The thought process was u would be able tell what to feed my pet.
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

If you click on the link I sent you, you can put in your dog's information and it will provide you with the diet formulated for you dog.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Because your dog has several health conditions, I would definitely recommend the consultation with the nutritionist at the vet school. If you are unhappy with this information I have shared with you, I will opt out of your question and you can see if anyone else has a different answer for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The web site u gave me the want 150 to 300 to try come up with a formula. That is crazy
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

That is for the nutritionists at the University, who have extensive training in formulating the perfect diet for your pet.

The first website I gave you does not charge this fee, but will want your vet to provide them with information about your pet, so that they can be sure it is appropriate for your dog. Your dog has several serious health problems, so personally, I would recommend a veterinary nutritionist at the vet school to formulate your pets diet. It seems like a high cost, but your dogs case is a complex one that should have a nutritionist determine the appropriate food.