Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our 8 yr old 6 lb Yorkie has something causing the inside of

Customer Question

Our 8 yr old 6 lb Yorkie has something causing the inside of the ear lining from the tip about 1 inch to be puffy We can tell it is blood or infection by squeezing
No sign of cut or a tick it is warm
Today we can feel on backside of ear also we are out of town or would call our vet. Should we sterilize a needle and penetrate to allow infection to drain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry you are worried about Piper. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If it feels like there is fluid in the ear, it is probably blood and this is probably an ear hematoma rather than an infection. We don't know why these happen. Sometimes if the dog has an ear infection, these form from the dog shaking her head, but often there is no ear infection. One theory is that it is an allergic reaction to something.

Puncturing with a needle does not usually drain these; I drain them with a syringe and suck out the bloody fluid. Often it just fills up again unless you start the dog on steroids like prednisone to suppress the allergic reaction.

Until you can get Piper to a vet, you could start her on antihistamines, until she can get prescription medication. You give 1 mg per pound (10 mg for a 10 pound dog) 2 to 3 times daily. If you have any cortisone ointment like Cortaid, that might help keep it from getting bigger if you apply it to the ear.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer, and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Here is an article about these ear or "aural" hematomas:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=566

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you are able to see what I wrote and sent. Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Was this helpful? How is Piper doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hi Tom Gammon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Piper. How is everything going?