Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I HAVE A POMERIAN CHICHUA (SORRY i CANT SPELL) S A MALE DOG

Customer Question

I HAVE A POMERIAN CHICHUA (SORRY i CANT SPELL) HIS A MALE DOG ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD. HE TRIED GOING OUT THE STORM GLASS DOOR WHEN SOMEONE WAS GOING OUT AND THE DOOR SHUT ON HIS MID SECTION. WE WERE GONE AT THE TIME HE WAS WITH A FRIEND OF OURS AND WE DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THIS UNTIL WE TOOK HIM HOME. HE ACTED JUST FINE HE USED BATHROOM, WALKED TO THE HOUSE AND GOT ON SOFA AND LAID DOWN. BUT WHEN I WENT TO PICK HIM UP TO LOVE ON HIM HE STARED YELPING, AND ONLY AROUND HIS MID SECTION AND JAW. I THOUGHT MAYBE JUST BRUISED BUT HE ISNT ANY BETTER. HIS BREAtHING OK, DOESNT WANT TO EAT BUT HE IS DRINKING. I DONT HAVE ANY MONEY UNTIL I GET PAID ON MONDAY BUT I WANT TO HAvE SOMEONE LOOK AT HIM BECAUSE IM WORRIED. HIS MY BEST FRIEND And PART OF MY FAMILY AND I NEED TO KNOW HELL BE BETTER. PLEAse HELP.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago was he crushed in the door?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Do you think he is breathing quicker then 30 breaths in a minute?

What have you tried feeding him?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he was crushed in the door last night around 7 pm. his gums are kinda of dark pink with very little white. his breathing seems ok. his eating his dog food. but he still hurts to pick him up around mid section but his wanting me to play toys with him. and his still stiff walking and yelping when he jumps from couch to floor..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that his breathing comfortably and eating now.

Based on what happened and his improvement, this does suggest just bruising here. And just as is the case for us after severe bruising, we need to avoid pressing on the areas and rest him as this heals. So, we'd not want to put pressure on his mid section at all (lifting with your hands on the chest/backside) for the next week at least. As well, he really shouldn't be allowed on/off furniture just now since the pressure of the jump is going to be painful. And while he wants to play, we need to rest him and walks should just be lead walks to the garden to do his business and back to resting.

Otherwise, since he is stable, you can plan to have him seen by his local vet when you are able so that dog safe pain relief can be dispensed. Just to note, do not be tempted to give any OTC human pain relief agents. Most are dog toxic and Aspirin would be risky since it is a blood thinner and we have trauma/bruising. If anything we, can just plan to rest but also warm compress the area. If you don't have one, you can make one by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Overall, he is a lucky lad here and it sounds like he is stable with just bruising. Therefore, he needs to be rested, avoid jumping or pressure on the area for at least the next week. And if he is amenable you can compress those areas to relax the muscles, reduce inflammation and encourage the bruises to settle.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)