Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been having trouble walking lately. Was at vet

Customer Question

My dog has been having trouble walking lately. Was at vet Thursday and took blood and X-rays of her front shoulders because she did not let him manipulate them during exam. She's been falls by off the couch or bed when she jumps down. They sent her blood to be tested for Rocky Mountain spotted fever. The lab in the office showed her platelets were low. Last night she wet the bed which she has never done before and just now I noticed a big lump on her head over her right eye
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Had the shoulder joint seems swollen?

What did the xrays show?

Was she positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted fever?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Any pinpoint red spots on them?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but am concerned about Macy and therefore will leave my thoughts for your return.

Considering her history, my concern with this lump is that we have a hematoma. This is essentially a blood blister and it can form suddenly if a dog experiences a trauma to the area in appears (like a severe bruise). That said, with Macy having low platelets, we have to appreciate that even small bumps have the risk of causing hematomas. This is because her platelets are key for her clotting and avoiding these kinds of lumps or bleeds anywhere in the body.

So, if she has low platelets (a feature of RMSF as well as poly arthritis which could cause her walking issues), this would be our concern. And I have to warn that if she has any paling of her gums (a sign of severe bleeding), weakness, or breathing changes, then we'd need to ring her vet urgently. Usually it is a case of treating as they are but if her platelets are dangerously low such that she is spontaneously bleeding as we are seeing (and thus at risk of lung or internal bleeds), then we may need to support her with platelet rich plasma transfusions until her body can replace her platelets and the antibiotics can clear this infection.

Take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)