Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a rescue dog and only had her and a half months. We do n

Customer Question

I have a rescue dog and only had her for 2 and a half months. We do not know if she has been desexed. Recently there was a small amount of blood on the floor where she had been sitting. Today my husband showed me that on one side towards her back end her nipple area seems to be hanging very low. The vet thinks she is 6 to 7 years old. She seems fine, just ate and not in pain as far as we can tell.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. It sounds like she is in the early stages of a heat cycle. This is when we see a bloody discharge and we can see mammary development. You can get doggy diapers at most pet stores. This should help keep her clean. You can use baby wipes on her vulva as needed. Once out of this cycle, you can get her spayed and prevent future heat cycles, as well as infections of the uterus (pyometra) or pregnancies. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.