Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a staffy who doesnt usually eat bones but got hold of

Customer Question

Hi i have a staffy who doesnt usually eat bones but got hold of a cooked lamb bone last night. Today he had been caughing a lot and i noticed blood in his spew. He has been spewing in general for about a week coming on two brown stuff. Hea in good health weighs 26 kg and still happy to eat his food and drink water. Im just worried about spewing blood in his spew and the caughing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would probably get an x-ray of his chest. We can see bones get stuck in the esophagus and cause coughing/ gagging and spitting up bloody phlegm. If there is a piece of bone stuck in the esophagus, it can be removed with endoscopy. If the esophagus is clear, then we usually give something for irritation (esophagitis). I typically use a medication called Sucralfate.

The only way to know for sure, is with an x-ray. I would definitely have this done when your vet opens.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.