Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Robbins... Our 4.3 lb yorkie puppy licked my fentayl patch

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Robbins... Our 4.3 lb yorkie puppy licked my fentayl patch that had fallen off of me..The patch was applied this morning. It is 75mcg/hour for its dosage. . We cant tell if he is having his normal sleep where he is pretty out. Or what signs should we worry about, of needing to get him to the vet? I feel horrible about this! Seems he is breathing normally..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is sleeping but we cant tell if it is something more serious type of lethargy that could be from the licking of the fentanyl patch. I dont think he had been licking it too long but I cant be sure. When he normally sleeps, he is pretty out normally.so it is hard to tell if there is any signs of actual lethargy.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long had you had it on?

Did he just get a lick or could he have chewed/punctured the patch?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Can he be roused and awaken? When he is, does he seem normal or wobble or collapse?