Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 6 year old, male Staffordshire terrier. He seems to

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old, male Staffordshire terrier. He seems to be acting ok and actually is sleeping now. But he has TERRIBLE gas for the past few hours. His stomach is compressible but seems a little firm, not painful and he certainly is not pacing or acting distressed. Is there any reason to be concerned for something like bloat or would he even be able to sleep if he had that?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just wondering if my question got lost in the mix. I have never had to wait over an hour for any answer on your site it has been 2 hours now which makes me think even more that it is not bloat because I have heard symptoms can progress to the point of being dangerous very rapidly with bloat.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry for the wait. I just logged on and saw this.

It does not sound like bloat. Bloat causes abdominal distension, dry heaving and labored breathing. It progresses to death within hours if not treated surgically.

It sounds more like some indigestion or bloating of the gut without any twisting. These dogs can do well with antacids or Gas-X. You could give 1 capsule or Gas-X every 8-12 hours. You could also give 10 mg of Pepcid (Famotidine) every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?