Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Dog sits after a bowel movement

Customer Question

dog sits after a bowel movement
Submitted: 11 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats.

Is this a new behavior or has he been doing it for a long time?

I know that he's not scooting but I do wonder if he just feels that sitting helps him remove anything that he might feel is tickling or stuck there after a bowel movement. I'd want to check his anal glands, but if you've been to a vet, I suspect that they've already done that. I've seen lots of dogs who sit (plus/minus a short little scoot) after a bowel movement and it's just their normal "thing". If he's acting normally in every other way and isn't losing weight or having any wounds or bleeding back there, and the vet(s) have given him a clean bill of health, then it's something that we're not likely to be able to explain except to say that "he likes it". Shepherds are the poster children for a disease called perianal fistulas, which cause open sores around the rectum, so I'd be sure that the vet gave him a really good exam back there to make sure that there's no fistulas - these can also cause some discomfort during and after having a bowel movement.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)