Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has extreme gas and rummy stools. It has been going

Customer Question

My dog has extreme gas and rummy stools. It has been going on for 4 days. What can we do to help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

4 days is very very serious. Absolutely, he must get to a vet for evaluation. No matter what I suggest over the counter below, you could do more harm by giving these medicdations and delaying getting proper supportive care.

To help gas, you actually can give a capsule of over the counter Gax X. The generic is called simethicone. It is a very safe medication for gas buildup.

For diarrhea, you can give a tablespoon of peptobismol every 12 hours, but strongly urge to not give repeatedly, as it could cover up a more serious condition.

Generally, a simple dietary indiscretion does not cause runny stools for this length of time, so try to get to a vet tomorrow for better supportive medicdation and testing.

Testing initially might include a fecal test and a blood profile.

Hope that information helps