Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 11 year old shih tzu just started shivering all the time

Customer Question

My 11 year old shih tzu just started shivering all the time and this morning she doesn't want eat. I noticed she's been urinating more than usual today as well. I also feel a small ball like lump on her rib cage.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Well, a few separate issues.

First, the lump on her rib cage. Unfortunately, that really could be almost anything. A fatty tumor (lipoma), a cyst, a nodule or some other type of tumor.

The urinating more could be very important. Increased urination (polyuria) can be caused kidney disease, urinary tract infection, diabetes, endocrine disease like Cushing's.

What about the shivering. Any type of shivering, tremoring or shaking can be caused by nausea, pain, or endocrine conditions as well.

With refusing to eat, nausea is a very real concern.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

But, I do feel this is well worthwhile to get in to a vet hospital for some basic testing. A urine and blood test may not give a definitive answer, but can eliminiate many possible explanations.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** get her to vet for test.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Regarding the lump. If the vet is unsure what it could be, they might suggest a fine needle aspirate test.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?