Dr. B
Dr. B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S. and D.V.M. at Texas A&M University, 10+ yrs experience practicing very high quality medicine & surgery
16944058

My dog has ITP she had the exact treatment you are

Customer Question

My dog has ITP she had the exact treatment you are describing. This was the end of May she did great her number skyrocketed quicker than my vet had ever seen with prednisone and she relapsed three weeks ago now she is on 10 mg prednisone and her numbers are wonderful. I guess my question is after two relapses is it possible to get it under control and have a pretty long life she's only three.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bryant. I've been practicing dog and cat medicine for over 11 years.

The answer to your question is ABSOLUTELY. The key to long lasting survival with little to no relapse is a SUPER-SLOW taper on immunosuppressive drugs. For some dogs, pred alone is the only drug they are on. I taper over several months, with a goal to get them off of pred no sooner than a year later.

If she is on pred plus other immunosuppressive meds (like cyclosporine or Imuran), then I slowly taper pred and maintain on the other drug for quite some time (again, months). If still no relapse, then can start tapering those.

Here are a couple of good articles for you if you haven't seen them already:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1412&S=0&EVetID=0

http://vetspecialistsofrochester.com/pdf/Internal-Medicine/Immune-mediated%20thrombocytopenia.pdf

I personally have had several dogs with either IMT or IMHA (red blood cell version) survive many years. The toughest part is the initial diagnosis and treatment. Many clients can't afford that workup and treatment, nor the expected long-term followup care with repeat bloodwork.

Let me know if this is the information you were looking for or if I can help you further. Otherwise, please rate my answer. Happy New Year!!