Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog got ran over, he broke s pelvis two weeks ago. Still

Customer Question

My dog got ran over, he broke his pelvis two weeks ago. Still not moving around to much and WONT EAT
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your old fella had a run in with a car. At his age, this can definitely be a large hurdle for him to overcome. Has he been examined by a vet and is he receiving any kind of pain medication? My concerns at this point would be #1 that his pain may not be controlled well enough (a broken pelvis is VERY painful), and #2 that either he has pre-existing health problems like kidney or liver disease or has developed them as a result of the injury or any medications he may now be taking. If you've tried tempting him with all sorts of foods and he's just not eating, I'd suggest having him rechecked with your vet to include some blood work and a recheck X-ray of his pelvis. It could be that he's developed organ failure at this point that was either already starting before or was brought on by the trauma +/- medications. If all of that checks out, you could also have your vet try an appetite stimulant like cyproheptadine or mirtazapine. My experience with these is that they will help a dog who is "on the fence" but it won't overcome severe illnesses.

Let me know if you've already tried some of these things or had him checked out and what the verdict is from the vet.

Thanks

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)