Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We just had puppies born on tuesday and one seems to be

Customer Question

we just had puppies born on tuesday and one seems to be wheezing and it is a bit on the smaller size? What can we do at home and not have to go to the vet office and get an extra fee with it being after hours?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. Congratulations on your new puppies!

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with newborns - some we can fix and many that we can't. At home, the most important things to do are make sure that the puppy is still nursing well and staying warm. If mom isn't keeping the puppy warm, you may need to put a heating pad under a towel and use it to keep the puppy warm. Make sure that he can crawl off of the pad if he wants in case he becomes too warm. If he isn't nursing well, that's why I recommend supplementing with puppy formula either by bottle or syringe. If you don't have any puppy formula on hand, you can sometimes manually express a syringe full of milk from mom. In a pinch, you can also use sugar water, karo syrup or light corn syrup. Other than good nursing care, there's not a lot more that you can do at home, but that alone can be life saving. Keep in mind that with neonates, a delay of hours can cause their condition to deteriorate rapidly, so if you're able to get veterinary care sooner rather than later, that would give him the best chance at making it.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara