Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I saw fleas on my dog. I gave her an oatmeal flea bath last

Customer Question

I saw fleas on my dog. I gave her an oatmeal flea bath last night and applied advantix II this morning. I sw her rubbing on her back and now it is dry. It never dries this quick and I'm afraid she rubbed it off. Can I reapply a new treatment? The box says it can be applied every 7 days. In afraid she will get fleas again from outside without the treatment being effective.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. If you applied it directly the the skin and not the hair coat, she shouldn't be able to rub it off that easily. I would give it some time to work. If you have already seen fleas on her, you will probably continue to see them regardless of the Advantix working or not. All of those problems won't do as good of a job treating for fleas once you see them. They work a lot better as preventatives. If you see adult fleas, you can be assured that 95% of the flea population is already established in the environment in the immature forms. You will never see them, until they become adult fleas. You will have a better time getting the flea population under control by treating the yard and house for fleas and reapplying the Advantix in 7-14 days. You can usually expect to still see a flea here and there for 2-3 months after this. It would be a waste of money to reapply Advantix at this point. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hi Nikki,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia. How is everything going?
Dr. John