Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 14-year-old shih tzu male 16 lb. he is blind but

Customer Question

I have a 14-year-old shih tzu male 16 lb. he is blind but was still playing a couple months ago. now he itches and tears his skin open. he was groomed and has little hair, is shivering. I want to know if there is something safe that will make him feel better?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am afraid its probably time to let him go, but I just want him to feel better while we wait for the holiday weekend to pass.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet guys condition...I know this is hard. The best thing you can do for your guy until you can get him to your vet is to give him Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs which will make him drowsy and help decrease this scratching. You can also give, at the same time, aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease his discomfort. It must be aspirin since Tylenol can be toxic to dogs. Baby aspirin is 81 mg each so if your guy wieghs 15 pounds, 1 baby aspirin every 12 hrs will help him past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****