Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My name is ***** ***** Jo. My greyhound, 3 years old and 74

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Jo. My greyhound, 3 years old and 74 pounds just ate a .25mg tablet of ropinirole, possibly two tablets.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: W What kind of detail?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Ropinirole is a dopamine agonist that dogs are fairly sensitive to. At doses > 0.01 mg/kg, we can see vomiting, lethargy, muscle tremors and elevated heart rates. That would be a dose of 0.34 mg in your dog. So if if your Greyhound ate just one tablet you should be alright but if there are two then it would be best to consider inducing vomiting.

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tbsp & 1 & 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

The good news is that it takes quite a bit to cause anything fatal or serious. Usually we'll just give them dopamine antagonists like Metoclopramide to reverse the signs and stop the vomiting.

If no vomiting and you any of the above symptoms please consider a veterinary er to give the medications listed above to control those symptoms that typically will be within the first 6-8 hours of ingestion

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much!

You are very welcome, best of luck to you both and happy new year!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I wanted to check in on you and your Greyhound to see how things went after we spoke earlier? Did you induce vomiting? How is he/ she doing now?

I would love an update! If you found my information helpful I would very much appreciate you rating our chat on the top of your screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thanks and Happy New Year to you both!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman