Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 4 year old Dachshund. She has a bloated stomach and

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 4 year old Dachshund. She has a bloated stomach and is obviously in pain. Vets are close. What can do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is still eating....Normally rolls over for you to rub her belly but just lays down now and whines if the other dogs rub her. Her bely is swollen looking. She is overweight too.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has been spayed and never been sick.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe that she is just sore from an attack of her mother. She has a bruise on the underside on her belly.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that sweet girl has been injured and s in pain. This could be from the attack by her mother or from an unstable disc in her back, common in dachshunds. Since she is still eating, start her on aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. I worry some about the bloated appearance but that may just be from the discomfort.

If she does not respond to this treatment, then you will have to have her seen by your vet in the morning. in most cases such as this, this treatment will ease her discomfort and start to heal the process.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does/ I had not seen the bruise until after I sent the question. She still is playful and active with me but not with the other dogs.

That is a good sign that this is minor and the aspirin will decrease the inflammation and pain to help this area heal.

Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta