Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 4 year old male pit lab mix. Within the past hour

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old male pit lab mix. Within the past hour he started panting heavily and trembling. He seems to become calm for short periods of time and then the panting begins again. My vet is unavailable at this time and I am concerned as to what to do. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It may be that Brooklyn has injured himself that you are not aware of. The panting tells us that he is in pain along with the trembling.

Most likely Broolyn has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in these breeds because of their conformation. Since Brooklyn does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Broklyn jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as he is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Brooklyn to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****