Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just ate 12 Godiva chocolate lava truffles with

Customer Question

My dog just ate 12 Godiva chocolate lava truffles with wrapper. My husband put them on the table for our party and my dog got them. She weighs about 65 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

Where they milk or dark chocolate?

Approximately how many grams or ounces were these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 1 hour ago dark chocolate 4.3 ounces. We given her 2 tablespoons peroxide so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were chocolate lava cake truffles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not sure if my other 2 dogs got any
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other 2 dogs are 6 pounds and 25 pounds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please let me know she to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry what to do worried
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had a lot to type)

Now the problem with chocolate is that it can cause a range of issues. Any intoxication runs the risk of causing stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, etc) and this often is seen within 2-4 hours post ingestion. That said, the higher doses can cause later stage signs (up to 36 hours later) that can really put our dogs at risk. These include elevations of the heart and breathing rate, tremors, seizures, and collapse.

With that all in mind, at least for this 65lb dog, it is a mild intoxication. So we could see GI upset but those dangerous signs are less likely. But if the other dogs did have some, then obviously this is much more serious and we'd have a larger risk for them.

Therefore, we have a few options. Since they just had this and they are still in the wrapper (which will slow absorption), we'd want to induce vomiting now. Especially in the smaller dogs if you think they had any. To induce vomiting at home, do use the 3% hydrogen peroxide orally but make sure you are giving 2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight. You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee ones walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, if we cannot get them vomiting this back up, we can block absorption by treating with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. And that may be best if you don't know who ate how much.

Finally, since GI upset is the most common adverse signs with chocolate ingestion, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep stomachs settled. Further to this, if anyone shows any signs of nausea, we can also treat with an antacid. Common OTC options we can use here would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if anyone has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, for the larger dog this is just a mild intoxication with the risk of GI upset. For the smaller dogs, this could be a real risky situation. Therefore, we'd want to take one of the above approaches now to clear out any chocolate anyone has had and avoid those adverse effects. Any struggles to do so or if you see adverse signs, and we'd want to get them to their vet for IV fluids any symptomatic care to help them through this.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)