Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Pomauaua ate some cake crumbs with in it, walnuts,

Customer Question

My Pomauaua ate some cake crumbs with nuts in it, walnuts, pecans. about 12 hrs. ago. Now she howl when you pick her up and her back legs are unsteady. She is still urinating well and has no diahrrea, just normal stool. Will this pass or should she be traeted for this condition. Her heart rithym and rate seem o.k. and she feels normal temperature wise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does Tippie seem tender or sore when you press on her belly?

Has she been retching, gagging, vomiting, or lip licking?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Is she still drinking and can she keep water down?

Was there any chocolate, xylitol or raisins in the cake?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.
She has not been retching, gagging, vomiting or lip licking.
Does not indicate soreness from palpationof stomach.
Gums are dark to normal pink. Moist.
She would not drink any water when offered.
There was no chocolate, xylitol (unknown), or raisins in cake.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She howls when her back is rubbed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that none of those other ingredients are a worry here and I would note that none of the nuts you listed are harmful to dogs. That said, in situations like this we can see gastroenteritis or pancreatitis from those rich bits of cake and nuts. Otherwise, we'd have to be wary of the crumbs being innocent here if it is her back that is sore (though we can see belly pain appear as back soreness since pressure on the back presses on the abdominal organs). So, we need to tread with care.

Now if she is very sore, then we may be best to have her seen so that her vet can check for pancreatitis and rule out an un-cake related back pain. In both cases, gut safe pain relief (since OTC human ones would be contraindicated) by injection to just get her settled and comfortable.

Otherwise, if she isn’t overly sore or you cannot get her seen now, then you can try to rule out stomach upset with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Once that is on board, we can plan to offer her small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, none of the nuts were toxic but they could cause pancreatitis for wee Tippie. Therefore, we do need to be wary of that or unrelated back pain. In any case, if she is very sore, we’d want her seen so the aforementioned treatments can be started to settle her. Otherwise, we can try a bit of supportive care to see if we can at least get her feeling better.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate me afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is lightly shaking as if nervous. No seizure activity noted.
Cake probably had cinnamon and cloves, also.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Those are not toxic either. In regard to the shaking, that is a non-specific sign we see when dogs feel unwell. So, that is not unexpected here with her being uncomfortable. But again if she is very sore when you lift her then it is best to have her seen since we don't want her suffering at all.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tippie. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)