Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is shacking like she is cold, hunched a little bit in

Customer Question

Customer: my dog is shacking like she is cold, hunched a little bit in the back, breathing seem different
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is very cold here and she was out, but I don't know how long, she is laying around and shaking...I can't seem to get her warm!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Ultimately, the diagnosis of hypothermia is made by taking her rectal temperature which can be done with any body thermometer placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two-person job! Her shaking can indicate hypothermia but also pain and when there's a change in posture such as a "hunch" in the back, the pain of degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") becomes an important differential diagnosis. Please let me know what her body temperature is. What breed and how old is your dog, please?