Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have 9 year old Rottweiler she is having trouble keeping

Customer Question

I have 9 year old Rottweiler she is having trouble keeping her balance at times she seems
disoriented. she falls down if she has to make sudden movement, sometimes she rocks back and forth trying to regain her balance
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any circling, head tilt, head pressing into walls?

Any ear issues?

Any toxic exposures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is some head tilting. No other issues and she has been like this for two weeks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that she has had this balance issue for 2 weeks already.

This is because while we can see benign vestibular episodes in older dogs (which usually come and go over a few days) to see this linger raises other concerns. Specifically, especially with the head tilt, we'd have to be wary of an inner or middle ear but also brain based issues. In regard to those, we can see imbalance and head tilts with diffuse brain issues (bacterial or viral infection, protozoal infections, or even immune mediated meningitis). As well, we can see it with more focal brain disease like bleeds, swellings, cysts, and tumors.

With this in mind, there isn't much that one can do at home and we'd want to be proactive to try and control this before it can progress. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have a check with her local vet. They can perform a neurological exam to tell us which issues are most likely for her. Based on that (+/- blood testing or MRI if brain issues are confirmed), then can start her on treatment to treat as many of the treatable ones as possible (ie antibiotics for middle ear disease, anti-protozoals for those, steroids to reduce brain inflammation, etc) to give her the best chance of settling her signs and regaining her balance.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate me afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)