Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My golden doodle weighing 30 lbs ate a sharp plastic-very

Customer Question

Customer: My golden doodle weighing 30 lbs ate a sharp plastic-very sharp and the size of a salad bowl. She seems fine currently and ate normally and just had a good BM. We are watching her but are very nervous. I gave her a little oil which of course she ate. (She eats any/everything).
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Newly adopted dog who tends to eat many household items. Last night she decided to eat another visiting dogs food bowl. I heard crunching this morning and found only a few very sharp pieces of plastic left. Bella weighs 30 lbs. Judy Rox-Klima here
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

Did she eat the whole bowl or if not how much appears missing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sometime within the past 8 hrs- while we were sleeping I believe. Very little pieces of the bowl are left and I swept the area well. Few very sharp pieces left, which she was crunching /munching well with her teeth.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sincere thanks for your advice. I do believe she is part goat.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

We do seem some dogs with this as an unfortunate habit. Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care. Since this material tends to be quite rigid and sharp (therefore a high risk of causing gut damage and blockage), I have to say that the best option here would be to have her seen by the local ER vet urgently so that they can use an endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove as much of this as possible. That way we can reduce the potential for harm here.

Otherwise, if that is not an option and since we are potentially 8 hours into this situation already, we can start some supportive care while monitoring her. In regards ***** ***** options, to start, since we have a sharp edged item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. To do so, I would suggest feeding her a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage.

Afterwards, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Its positive that she is not showing signs just now bt we'd want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she chewed it all small enough to pass without bother. But of course, any of those red flag signs and we'd need to act urgently to ensure she doesn't cause herself serious harm with this plastic.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you (this isn't an extra cost to you and is included in what you have paid the site already). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)