Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

If a dog has too much salt in s food will he pant and shake?

Customer Question

If a dog has too much salt in his food will he pant and shake?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much salt was in his food? What was fed?

Has he been drinking more or passing more urine?

How long has he had signs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He had smoked turkey mixed with dog food. 3days in a row. drinking more water and passing more urine. Just last night, he showed signs of panting and shaking. Of course there were a couple of fire crackers, but my other dog wasn ot upset with the noise, and he usually is. Thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My other dog also had the turkey, and had panting and shaking and I stopped the turkey and he responded well. but my roommate gave the little dog the rest iof the turkey.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the shaking and panting are both non-specific signs of stress or when dogs feel unwell.

They are not really characteristic of salt overdose as the increased thirst and urination was. So, we could see them if this was making him feel unwell. Still, if it were our culprit, it would have likely been signs we saw all along. Therefore, I suspect that these are related to the fireworks and will settle if those stop.

In any case, since we have seen thirst/urination signs, we don't want to give any more of this turkey to either dog. If we cut that out, we would expect this to settle as he drinks and flushes the excess salt over the next 36-72 hours. Of course, if he doesn't settle or we see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss), weakness, lethargy, wobbliness, tremors, or seizures; then we'd need to consider having him seen so that IV fluids can be given to rebalance his sodium and electrolyte levels from this.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate me afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)