Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our four and a half year old yorkie poo has been withdrawn

Customer Question

Our four and a half year old yorkie poo has been withdrawn from everyone and just laying around in odd spots where no one will bother her. They said her heart rate was up (which they thought could have been from being at the ER) and that her temp was 102. She spent the night in the ER getting fluids and they saw that her liver was enlarged, she had higher protein levels, and her white blood cell count was up (23000). She has not been eating or drinking and we are not sure what to do. She was happy and had more energy when we went to see her so they let us bring her home and now she is back to showing the same signs as she was before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Patience. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you have copies of the blood tests from the vet hospital. I see she has a high white cell count, but it would be helpful to see her red count, her liver values, if a test called cPL for pancreatitis was done, what her albumin is, etc. Since I can't see and examine her, the more information I have, the more I can help you.

I am worried about the enlarged liver, and in addition to knowing her liver numbers I would do a test called bile acid to check liver function, I would test for pancreatitis if that has not been done. If her liver numbers are elevated, I would start her on antibiotics, possibly steroids for hepatitis, ursodiol for liver function if the bile acids are abnormal, and supplements like milk thistle and SAMe.

The next best step if her liver is enlarged would be an ultrasound, to really evaluate her liver. Sometimes we can use the ultrasound to guide a needle, and get a needle biopsy of the liver to really tell us why the liver is enlarged.

If you check her gums are they pink in color, or pale?

If she is not eating and drinking, she will become dehydrated and will need to get fluids by injection under her skin or by IV.

It sounds like you do not yet have a diagnosis of what is wrong with her, and since she is not getting better, I would do more tests until you do get a diagnosis. Once we know what is wrong, once we have a diagnosis, we know the best treatment. It will help me if you can tell me her blood tests results; that would be a start.

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Patience? I hope you were able to see my answer.

Let me know if I was helpful and if I can answer any other questions for you. Rebecca