Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is in labor. She has birthed one puppy, but that was

Customer Question

My dog is in labor. She has birthed one puppy, but that was 4 hours ago and she hasn't had contractions again since. Is there anything I can do to help her relax for the next one, or encourage the process?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Akita. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How is she acting? Is she anxious, pacing, straining at all? Is she taking care of the puppy?

It is possible that she is done, that there only was a singleton puppy. One way to know would be to palpate her uterus but that can be difficult in a large dog like an Akita. An Xray would be the best way to know if there are more puppies and how many more there are.

Sometimes a dog goes into labor and has a puppy, then a day later has the rest of them. It is not common, but I have seen this.

If she is still in labor (pushing like she is having contractions) and no puppy comes out, she may need help. Sometimes an injection of oxytocin will bring the next puppy (if there is another). Once in a while, even a large dog like an Akita needs to have a C section.

If you think she is pushing or in labor at all, and no puppies are coming, I would have her checked as soon as possible. If she seems calm, is eating, not in labor, and taking care of her puppy, then monitoring her might be fine. If she were mine I would definitely have an Xray taken today, so I would know for sure if there were more puppies.

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can help with or answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is she today? I hope you were able to see my answer.

Let me know if I was helpful and if you have any more questions. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Did your dog ever have any more puppies?