Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 14 yr old setter started scratching her underbelly. We

Customer Question

Our 14 yr old setter started scratching her underbelly. We looked and see black spotson her underside that we have not seen before. After research, we think it is a Candida albicans infection, maybe Malassezia; both of which are ubiquitous organisms in nature, but affect older dogs. I am trying to find how to purchase a reputable micronazole shampoo to treat this, can you help? I have a Ph.D. in microbiology so I may be able to understand whatever you tell me.
She is already on a grain and carbohydrate free diet, fyi.
I appreciate your help very much!!
- Beth Ann
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Beth Ann I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, I would first note that black discoloration in pruritic dogs is most often secondary hyperpigmentation (due to melanocyte irritation/activation). That said, for cases of yeast overgrowth +/- pyoderma we tend to use Malaseb shampoo. It has 2% Miconazole as one would require for yeast but also Chlorhexidine. You can buy the high strength version from your local vet or you can get the regular strength online at sites like Amazon (example). Generally speaking, when treating these cases, we will want to bathe (leave it on 5-10 minutes while doing so) 3-4 times in the week to help get them settled and then wean down from there.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)