Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My morkie chewed up a hard plastic case in December 18. She

Customer Question

My morkie chewed up a hard plastic case in December 18. She threw up that day & saw the vet who did X-rays. Since then she has not pooped as frequently as she usually does & has had bouts of a large volume of softer poop. Not diarrhea but pretty soft. She has also thrown up a few times. She continues to act completely normally. She eats & plays as normal & doesn't appear to be in any pain. If she had an obstruction would she be acting sick? Could she still have an obstruction this late?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did she pass all of the plastic?

Does she have any tenderness if you press all over her abdomen?

Had the plastic sharp edges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not positive that she actually ate any of the plastic. She chewed it up and made a mess. I assume she swallowed some. She has not passed any. Yes it was sharp edged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No tenderness in her belly. She is very playful...running all over and jumping on couch.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on Tiger's signs, this doesn't sound like a full obstruction. Dogs with these tend to vomit, have belly discomfort, anorexia, and usually have liquid stools if they can pass any at all. Therefore, this isn't likely for her. That said, we can see partial obstructions which could be more subtle and less soft stool through. As well, we can see soft stools and gut upset secondary to just gut irritation from having had non-edible material irritating the gut wall.

With all this in mind, we can try to soothe her signs for her and encourage any lingering plastic to pass. To do so, you can consider putting her on a light diet. These are easy to digest and will reduce the amount of material she needs to pass as stool and thus reduce her passing loose stool. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Whichever you choose, consider adding a fiber additive (ie spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to the food. These will bulk up her stools generally and that can help push anything partially obstructing item through. As well, you can also consider a dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to just support the normal gut bacteria if they have been imbalanced by this and this also reducing their digestive function.

Finally, since she has had some vomiting, I would note that we can use an antacid with her. Commonly we will use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Though since we may have some throat/stomach irritation, a liquid alternative like Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 8 hours) could be another option here. Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this doesn't sound like an obstruction here. Instead, we could have a partial one but generalized GI irritation from this situation is most likely with Tiger's signs. Therefore, we'd want to use supportive care while keeping a close eye on her. If she settles, we are happy but if this lingers then we'd want to consider a recheck xray to see if there is any clue to any more plastic lurking.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. She has been taking Pepcid ac and the vet gave her flagyl on the 18. This soft large poop & vomiting has been really off & on. She tends to have a weak stomach anyway. She vomits on car rides & if she eats anything other than her regular diet. I will keep an eye on her. Thank u!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that she is and if she is sensitive then its likely just secondary to irritation and just needs a bit more time to heal and settle.

Take care and a great new year to you both,

Dr. B.