Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

What is the age limit to remove dew claw on a lab puppy I've

Customer Question

What is the age limit to remove dew claw on a lab puppy I've been told 3 day and I've been told up to 9 day
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try ot help you.

The honest answer is, it's up to the ethics and costs of you and your vet. Many vets feel it is too cruel to remove the dewclaws after 3 days of age without some form of anesthesia. Some vets will do it at 9 days but with a numbing injeciton at each claw raising the price per puppy. After 9 days full anesthesia is needed raising the cost much higher. Because of the pain involved and the cost involved many vets just recommend not removing the claws at all or having them done before 3 days of age to save on pain and cost for you. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if this did help, please let me know by giving a rating. Dr. Dan