Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

16 year old German wired hair pointer female will not eat

Customer Question

16 year old German wired hair pointer female will not eat but will drink some and getting weak and wobbly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How long has this been going on?

4- Is she on any medications?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1 no #2 no # ***** three days #4 no # ***** no.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Flirt. It appears that the first expert has opted outed. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you check her gums, are they pink in color or do they look pale?

Is she spayed?

Is she vomiting at all?

Sorry for all the questions! But since I can't see and examine her, the more information I have, the more I can help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The gums are pale pink,she was spayed,she is not vomiting.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Pale pink gums are concerning to me. She may be weak and wobbly because she is anemic (low red blood cells in her blood). This can be from internal bleeding, from getting rat poison (is that at all possible?), or (unfortunately because she is older) cancer. She might also have a heart problem, or fluid in her lungs.

Not eating is how a dog tells us they are not feeling good. If this were my own dog, I would be listening her to heart and lungs, palpating her internal organs and lymph nodes, checking her red blood cell count, and taking her temperature.

She needs to be checked out as soon as possible. Until then, try to keep her hydrated by offering water as well as broth or Pedialyte.

Is is good she is spayed. Older unspayed female dogs can get a serious infection of the uterus, but that can't be her problem. Still, I am worried about her. Is she better or worse since I first posted my response?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is the same
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Is there an emergency clinic open in your area today? Or can you take her to your vet first thing in the morning?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is she today?