Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have a 2 and a half year old male yorkie (approximately

Customer Question

Hello, we have a 2 and a half year old male yorkie (approximately 8lbs) who has never had any health issues. He started vomiting two days ago (Tuesday) and his last vomit was Wednesday morning. He has not eaten in that time span but he does drink water and has urinated several times. He whimpers while laying down as if in pain and whines as well. He does not whine or whimper from touch or contact with any parts of his body to include his abdomen. He is unable to sleep well due to the apparent pain or discomfort and hasn't eaten in two days, therefore he is very lethargic. I gave him 3.5ml of Pepto Bismol twice yesterday (about 4hrs apart) and he didn't vomit it up and seemed to take it well, however his condition has not improved much. We live in Fort Worth, TX and have found a few kissing bugs in our area although I don't think this is the concern. We have an appointment with his regular vet on Saturday morning. What would your recommendations be in the short-term?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I feel so bad for sweet little Kuma! These little ones are very sensitive and anything such as something odd he may have ingested or the stress of company could start this digestive disturbance. The best thing to do is to follow these instructions:

Fast Kuma for 12-24 hrs which he is doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. This willhopefully take away Kuma's discomfort.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Kuma back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Kuma to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction. If he is not feeling better by tomorrow, I would recommend finding an ER vet on Friday rather than waiting until Saturday. You will know by tomorrow morning if Kuma has responded.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Evan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kuma. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta