Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was just diagnosed with kidney disease and I'm

Customer Question

My dog was just diagnosed with kidney disease and I'm wondering if it is safe to feed her beans.
If not, is there any high caloric foods that you could recommend.
She is currently eating Hill's K/D food, but I'm looking to supplement that just to get her calorie count up.
Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In Oreo's case, we wouldn't want to feed beans since they are protein rich (which will put more work on the kidneys and what the K/D is trying to avoid alongside excess sodium and phosphorus). Instead, we need to increase the calories/fat in the diet to help increase her calorie intake an weight. To do so, the most straight forward way would be to use a high calorie paste supplement like Nutrical (example).

Otherwise, we need to increase her food intake. If she is fussy with the new diet, then consider trying kidney friendly home made diet options like: Chicken or Egg with Potato.

To make a balance diet of this, you can use

1 cooked whole egg -OR- 1/4 cup cooked chicken breast (72 grams)
3 cups potatoes boiled in skin (369 grams)
1 tablespoon chicken fat (14 grams)
1 1/2 calcium carbonate tablets (600 mg calcium)
1/2 multiple vitamin-mineral tablet

provides 600 kcalories, 15.1 g protein, 18.5 g fat + meets the caloric needs of 18 pound dog

Overall, if we want to increase her calorie intake, we need to do so while avoiding overdoing the protein. Therefore, a supplement like Nutrical would be perfect here or you can try the above diet options to help her eat better and get more nutrition in.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm concerned about adding the multi-vitamin to the recipe you provided as Oreo seems to be able to taste the slightest medicine/vitamin in food and will then refuse to eat it.She doesn't seem to want to eat anything that she's liked in the past (pasta with sauce, ice cream). She seems very hungry, but not willing to try what I give her (Hill's K/D canned food) - - I think this may be due to her stomach being upset. She will eat the Hill's K/D dry food, which I give her at night, mixed with the food she's been on for years.I guess my biggest concern is that she's been 17 1/2 pounds for the last 7 years, and upon her visit to the vet this week, she had lost just over a pound. She used to eat ice cream every night (she would actually demand it) and now she doesn't want anything to do with it. She doesn't like fruits and vegetables, so I am at a loss as to what options are left. Is it safe for her to eat ice cream, if she wants it?If I add the multi vitamin into the food, could you suggest a specific one I should use and where I could get it?And is there any place I could get other recipes to try for her?The recipe you provided contains chicken - - is this ok because there isn't very much in the recipe or is chicken less stressful on her kidneys than other protein?Thanks for any help you can provide.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

First, if you suspect she'd turn her nose up at a vitamin (which you could use any like Vet's Best, ***** ***** Tabs, etc), then you can give it directly and not in the diet. That way you can be sure she has it but also that she will eat the meal. Otherwise, I would note that if she has been offer food, this could be due to a secondary uremic gastritis and nausea from her kidney issues. In that case, you may want to speak to her vet about anti-nausea treatments or at lease try her with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). As well, they could also put her on an appetite stimulant to help you get her eating (especially since icecream isn't balanced and not advisable as anything more then an occasional treat).

Finally, chicken is an easy to digest protein source. It is fine to use and the basis of many diets. And I do appreciate that there isn't much in the recipe but remember we are trying to limit protein to reduce the kidney's workload. And if we gave a lot that would be counterproductve (especially since she only needs 1g per pound of her weight per day anyway). So, its a case of moderation and ease of digestion in that case.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. B,I do appreciate your time and concern with Oreo as this is a very stressful and anxious situation for her and me. I have one follow-up question regarding the Nutrical, which I just picked up today. In the documentation I have read online regarding Oreo's kidney issues, it states that fat can be used to increase caloric intake without increasing phosphorus, but not Omega-6, which is harmful to dogs with kidney disease. The Nutrical contains Omega 6 (211 mg per teaspoon), so I am hesitant to give it to her because I don't know if it's worth the risk and I don't want to worsen her situation. I also picked up some salmon oil and a vitamin gel to help supplement her diet. But is there another option beside Nutrical - - there wasn't any other choices at PetCo.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Omega 6 in large volumes has been reported to cause inflammation but this tends to be at doses around 1800mg+ per kilogram of dog. So, the Nutrical could still be used in moderation with the other foods we have discussed as we'd not be feeding that much to Oreo. Otherwise, if you aren't keen, then those aforementioned diets would be our mainstay here. Or Enercal a similar paste product that you should be able to purchase online only has 135mg/tsp Omega 6 in it. So that could be an alternative option.

Best wishes for Oreo,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)