Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 6month old puppy has started getting up to stretch only

Customer Question

My 6month old puppy has started getting up to stretch only to lay back down and then starts shaking. What could be causing this? She chews on everything, could she have swallowed something and now have a blockage somewhere?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. So, the behavior you are describing can be associated with pain or discomfort of some type. It can also be associated with a impending viral infection. If your puppy is eating and there is no vomiting or diarrhea then it is not impossible that she ate something but much less likely that she ate something that is causing her problems. There are usually GI signs with foreign body ingestion. You did not mention vomiting or diarrhea so I am going on the premise that you have not seen that. Assuming that my biggest concern would then become an impending viral infection which if she is not eating can be very serious. Any puppy that is not very active at times and justs lays down and shakes should be considered a medical emergency until proven otherwise. This is because many of the viruses we see in puppies can be life threatening. You should take you puppy to your vet this am to be evaluated as soon as possible. These signs you are describing are signs of illness or pain but they do not tell us exactly what is wrong. I hope that makes sense. I would take your puppy in and make sure they do a CBC,chem panel along with a parvo test. I hope this helps you and if you need any further help I would be glad to answer follow up questions later tonight. I have long day today but will get bcak to you if you have additional concerns. Most Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lacey. How is everything going?
Dr B