Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an 8y/o diabetic pug, and tonight he started having

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Justin - I have an 8y/o diabetic pug, and tonight he started having some quite soft stools with some red mixed in (I'm guessing blood). He's been diabetic, insulin dependent, for two years. At first he was acting normally, but now he's a bit more lethargic than usual (although he is a pug, so it's not like he is super active anyway). I'm trying to determine how to proceed. Is it worth a trip to the emergency vet? Do we call our vet in the morning and get him in?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else would be helpful for you to know? We do not monitor his blood sugar levels on a regular basis, he only has it checked when we go in to the vet for check-ups, but he responds well to his current dose 10 units U-100 bid
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure, that's fine :)
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's incredibly late now (12:40 PM) and any decisions about my dog and treatment for the night I already had to make. It is not useful to have a service that does not provide answers in a timely fashion. I understand that answers may not be instant, but it has been 2.5 hours since I asked my question and I still have not received a response. I would like my $19 refunded.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 11 months ago.

Hi!

I'm Dr. Barbara and I just saw your post, and I also understand your frustration. I want to give you a quick answer, but then will also request a refund for you.

Your pug has a condition called colitis which is quite common this time of year with the holidays. . .stress and unusual food are the most common cause of this. As long as your pug is still eating, then he is doing OK. I would continue his normal eating and insulin routine, but also add some extra fiber to his diet with either canned yams (no sugar) or carrots. Most dogs like carrots for a treat, and baby carrots would be perfect for him.