Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Overexcited French Bulldog. Keeps trying to attack

Customer Question

Customer: Overexcited French Bulldog. Keeps trying to attack convalescing Cocker Spaniel. Will 25mg of Benadryl once or twice a day harm the French Bulldog?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Bulldogs are often eager to engage in aggressive behavior. This one is being very aggressive with an older dog, but they have to spend time together for another 2 days.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Yes you can use benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours as needed for allergies but also for sedation. In rare cases (<1%) it can have the reverse effect of hyperactivity so be aware of this!

Another option that can be used with or without benadryl is rescue remedy which is available at your local vitamin store as a human supplement to calm anxious energy but also calm energy as well

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 10 minutes tonight but will return tomorrow if I miss you. Good luck with the Frenchie!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman