Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My 45 lb border collie just ate a small tube of Vetropolycin

Customer Question

Customer: My 45 lb border collie just ate a small tube of Vetropolycin (tube and all). I gave him hydrogen peroxide - he vomited twice - we found pieces of the tube, gave him another dose and he has vomited 4 times - no pieces in the last three times - I am cooking ground beef and rice to feed him for the next 24 hrs and will start giving him small amounts of water in a few hours - is this the proper treatment and what else should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I don't know if he has more of the metal in his body and if I should make him vomit more?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure - thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. It sounds like you have it under control.

There are a couple other things you can do.

You can give him a tablet of Pepcid AC or Zantac tonight and again in the morning as the hydrogen peroxide can be hard on the stomach.

If the pieces of metal are small, most likely he will digest and pass them.

Check his gum color now if he is done vomiting. His gum color should be nice and pink. Monitor his gum color a few times throughout the day. If his gums turn pale, and he becomes very letheragic, he could have internal bleeding. But it sounds like he chewed it up well and vomited most of it up.

I would not feed him anything tonight. In the morning you can offer him a bite of the ground beef and rice you made.

Although it does not sound like it will be an issue, keep an eye on him for signs of a gastrointestinal blockage. Signs would include lack of appetite, repeated vomiting, pain on abdominal palpation, and lethargy.

If he has those signs he should see a vet.

Dogs often eat the Vetropolycin and it usually just causes some vomiting or diarrhea.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?