Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog wore a zodiac tick and flea collar 3 months from

Customer Question

My dog wore a zodiac tick and flea collar for approximately 3 months from march 2012 to july 2012. She developed TCC in her urethra in sep 2014. She died nov 2015.
Was this collar worn long enough to cause TCC in my dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she was 19 lbs (not overweight). She was very active and when she was diagnosed with TCC via ultrasound they also diagnosed her with cushings due to a benign tumor on her adrenal gland .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did not know this tick collar was carcinogenic (propoxur).
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I did some looking into your question. I researched on a veterinary specific website to see if there were any articles or experiences by other vets with that product and an increased level of cancer. I didn't find any specific papers that listed a correlation between the two. There aren't any specific studies that have shown an increase in TCC's in dogs with exposure to the chemical that is in the zodiac tic and flea collars. Most likely the development of the TCC in her was totally unrelated to that products use. I did come across this from a material safety data sheet on the chemical.

"Propoxur was investigated for carcinogenic effects in a 2-year feeding study in mice. Dietary concentrations of 500, 2000 or 8000 ppm were employed in the study. An increased incidence of benign liver adenomas occurred in male mice at 2000 ppm or greater. When rats were fed for 2 years in a single type of diet, urinary bladder neoplasias were observed at concentrations of 1000 ppm and above. Propoxur was not carcinogenic in other types of diets administered to rats at high doses up to and including the maximum tested concentration of 8000 ppm."

Here is the link to it.

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals/documentsubmit/KellyData%5COK%5Cpesticide%5CMSDS%5C2724%5C2724-493%5C2724-493_Vet_Kem_PowerBand_Flea___Tick_Collar_For_Dogs_2_29_2008_3_09_22_PM.pdf

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

It is a different product, but it has the proposer in it so it is relevant.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Here is the actual material and safety data sheet on it.

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals/documentsubmit/KellyData%5CND%5Cpesticide%5CMSDS%5C2724%5C2724-254%5C2724-254_ZODIAC_FLEATROL_FLEA___TICK_COLLAR_FOR_PUPPIES_7_8_2002_10_27_38_AM.pdf