Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Ok, sorry if this is looking winded but just trying to make

Customer Question

Ok, sorry if this is looking winded but just trying to make sure you have all of the info. We have an almost 13 year old Paperanian that we believe suffered a stroke in the middle of the night about 2 months ago. The vet told us they could run tests to try and determine the cause of the stroke but really nothing they else they could do. She appeared to have almost completely recovered in a few days but now, in the last 1-2 weeks has become sick. We can't really afford to take her in now and I realize that may sound cruel but she has already had very expensive surgery on her back knees and we know they generally only live until about 15. Again, not to sound cruel but we just can't afford to put a bunch more money into a dog that's probably not going to be around much longer anyways, not to mention that we may just have a bunch of expensive tests done with zero results. With that being said, here are her symptoms which are so back and forth, we don't know where to turn. When she first got sick about 1.5 weeks ago she was vomiting clear mucous (now comes and goes.) She still eats and drinks (some days she can keep it down, some days it comes right back up.) Urination and stools were fine until last night. She had never tried to go to the bathroom inside before until we noticed her trying last night and then found droplets of blood and a bloody stool. Later last night she had a non bloody stool (on our bed) then jumped off the bed (which she never does because it's too high) and had a small bloody discharge on the floor. At times she is very lethargic and her eyes are glossy (we assumed old age and stroke related) and other times she has a lot more pep. She has lost a lot of weight even though she eats like crazy if we feed her something other than the kibble that her and our other 2 dogs normally eat (they are both fine.) Today I got her to drink Pedialyte mixed with water but it and the wet food came right back out along with clear mucous. She had leftover prime rib and cheese from Christmas dinner and mostly held it down. Sometimes she just sits and stares off like a regular person with dementia or Alzheimer's even if you call her or snap your fingers right next to her, like she doesn't hear or see you, which again could be the old age. It's just that her symptoms are so back and forth. Really really lost here. Thanks for listening to me ramble.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and of course now that mom's home she just started eating dry food like it was going out of style and walking around like nothing was ever wrong. I may have created a spoiled little monster lol (she was already spoiled) but I just know that's going to change.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried about Trixie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There are many things that can cause lethargy, weight loss, vomiting, and bloody stools in older dogs: pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, infections, parasites and (unfortunately) cancer.

The sitting and staring could indeed be old age/senility but things like liver disease and cancer can affect mental alertness as well.

I can understand your not wanting to do a lot of tests that may or may not tell you what is wrong with her, or might tell you that she has something that is not treatable like cancer. But, without doing tests we can't know for certain what is wrong with her.

Since she still has an appetite, you could try feeding her bland, low fat foods. The Pedialyte, or broth, is a good way to keep her hydrated.

You could give her 1/4th of a Pepcid AC (famotidine) twice daily; that might help with nausea, vomiting, and appetite.

Please let me know if this is helpful, and what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you saw my answer! Was this helpful? Can I answer any other questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trixie. How is everything going?