Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I think that my 14 year old may have had a stroke. She was

Customer Question

I think that my 14 year old may have had a stroke. She was diagnosed with benign breast tumors last year. Can the have caused a stroke?
Submitted: 11 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Diamond is showing symptoms of a stroke. Dogs can have something similar to a stroke called vestibular disease where they often have a head tilt, eyes dart side to side, can have vomiting, difficulty walking. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

Treatment for this condition is often palliative, meaning we treat the symptoms they have. If there is vomiting we give medication to help with nausea along with fluids under the skin. If trouble walking then we use a towel to support them going in and out to go to the bathroom.

Often this condition resolves on its own or improves within the first 5-7 days. If not related to an ear infection we commonly don't have a reason why this occurs in dogs and what is called idiopathic in nature.

To answer your question no the breast tumors could not cause the symptoms you describe unless she had malignant tumors that have spread to other parts of the body...

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another 30 minutes before having to exit for a little while but will return later this evening if I miss you to answer any additional questions or concerns you may have

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Hi Ian,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Diamond. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman