Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a dog with a ruptured eye and I am wondering what the

Customer Question

Customer: I have a dog with a ruptured eye and I am wondering what the success rate is for healing with medications
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: English Bulldog 8.5 years old. We attempted to heal a deep ulcer that ruptured. She lost her other eye due to ulcer that ruptured.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont have money for surgery but dr says this could heal with medication. How long would this take and what is the success rate.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I regret that it's very difficult to prognosticate without knowing the extent of the rupture and just how disrupted are the contents of his globe. Strict attention to both control of infection and inflammation is essential. This implies both topical ophthalmic and systemic antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. Your dog's vet knows much more than I could concerning the extent of the damage and if he/she believes that your dog's eye can heal with medications only, by all means get started on both topical and systemic care. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?