Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 year old Coton is having trouble jumping up. He was

Customer Question

My 10 year old Coton is having trouble jumping up. He was fine yesterday but today he will not walk upstairs or attempt to jump on the couch where he sleeps most of the day. I took his temp and it is 101F. He is shaking and obviously is uncomfortable. His stomach feels a little hard to me. He last pooped yesterday morning and it was normal.
Arlene
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me if there is any chance Moose has eaten something non-edible? Or has he had any fatty foods?

You noted he had a firm stomach, was he uncomfortable when you pressed on it?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Arlene,

Since I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts regarding what you have said about Moose thus far.

Now based on Moose's signs and his age , what you have described is highly suspicious of a recent a muscle strain/sprain or that he has potentially aggravated an underlying spinal arthritis. It is likely related to his back/hips regions as discomfort here often will cause these types of signs. We can see similar signs in causes of pancreatitis or when they eat something that causes a blockage, but we'd have expected that abdomen to be sore when palpated. So, that is less likely if you dont' think he is sore here.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question about whether we have an urgent situation, as long as he isn't dragging those back legs, overtly painful, has normal pink gums, or showing signs that he cannot feel his legs, then we don't have an emergency here.

Still, it is ideal to have him checked as planned. His vet can confirm our suspicions and if his back/hips are giving him trouble, then dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) can be started. If there is any worry of pancreatitis or any blockage, then they can address this as well. Finally, just at his age and with what we are seeing, you may also want to consider longer term treatments like OTC joint supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin, Duralactin, and/or omega 3 fish oils.

Overall, based on what you have reported about Moose, this doesn't sound like an emergency. Instead, it sounds like he has aggravated his back or spine and the above would be the treatments we'd want to consider with his vet once he is checked over.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )