Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My vet has diagnosed my Basset Hound with bladder crystals.

Customer Question

My vet has diagnosed my Basset Hound with bladder crystals. She has changed Daisy's food to a prescription food and we are on our third round of antibiotics. I'm worried. I came home last night to a puddle of blood that was as big as my shoe. The vet has done and ultrasound and has determined that there are no bladder stones nor masses.
Am I doing everything possible? And, why is this taking so long to clear up?
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear about poor Daisy's situation but you are doing everything correctly. And it is very good to hear that you have had her scanned any ruled out bladder tumors and stones.

Though to see blood last night, we'd be concerned that she still has enough of that crystal debris in her bladder such that its still severely irritating her. In this case, it would be worth having a second urine sample checked to see if the crystal level is on the decline as we want it to be. Otherwise, we'd want to speak to her vet about dog safe anti-inflammatories to reduce the inflammation in the bladder and bladder support supplements (ie Cystaid, Crananidin) to help keep the bladder producing protective glycosaminoglycans and restore the bladder's mucosal barrier. Both will help it to settle, reduce swelling/inflammation, and aid healing as we address and reduce the crystals she has been forming.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )