Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog, Lady, has likely nasal carcinoma. we saw an oncologist,

Customer Question

my dog, Lady, has likely nasal carcinoma. we saw an oncologist, but did not pursue the CT, rhinoscopy. Observationally, she was clear this was what we're dealing with. L is 11 yrs. old, has had issues with both skin mast cell tumors and basal. My choice has been to do advanced nutritional analysis and supplementation, yunnan payer for bleeding, deramax, and recently as she's shown more discomfort, ultram. Yesterday she began showing slight lameness in her front left and back right legs. (She has had some this earlier in her life, and it would pass in a course of days), but now of course this is worrying me. Could it be the disease progressing? Is this a sign I should do something immediate/more.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you. I'm sorry that Lady has been diagnosed with a nasal tumor. All of the treatments that you've outlined are ones which I suggest for my owners who elect not to pursue additional testing or invasive procedures (primarily because they can't afford them). Most nasal cancers don't tend to metastasize but when they do, they don't travel to bone; usually, they'll go to the lungs. So, it seems unlikely that her current lameness issues would be related to her original diagnosis.However, if you have tick diseases such as lyme in your area, then this may be a possible explanation for this new development. I live in New England where I see a multitude of dogs with these diseases. On more than one occasion, I've had patients who were diagnosed with cancer in particular who then also developed symptoms of lyme disease. This is an opportunistic organism and takes advantage of the immuno-compromised condition of certain patients which is why symptoms totally unrelated to the original problem can develop. Even if a lyme test is done and is negative, I'd still consider this to be a potential cause for her orthopedic issues and start my patient on either Doxycycline or Minocycline if this were my case. There would be no downside to doing so since these drugs also have anti-inflammatory properties which may be of benefit for the nasal cancer. Of course, other issues such as arthritis or problems with the spine could also cause a multiple leg lameness but I'd want to ensure that I wasn't missing an infectious disease either. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Lady. How are things going with her? Deb