Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 15 year old Yorkie, he is 90% blind and deaf. He

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old Yorkie, he is 90% blind and deaf. He has just been diagnosed with megaesophagus. The thought of bringing him home to hand feed seems like a major problem with another dog in the house too. How do you go out of town or travel. Is all this too much for this little pup and should I pup him down? A distressed lady.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now with megaesophagus, we do need to give these dogs quite a bit of specialized care and they need this everyday. This doesn't mean you cannot have holidays or travel out of town, but it does mean you would need to have a pre-established network to fall back on when you aren't there for Cody. This could mean having him stay at the vet's when you are away or have him stay with a friend who is willing to be trained with how to feed and care for him. It isn't a major undertaking as some conditions (ie diabetes) but it is one that again needs daily special care. So, you would need to feed the dog separately and there would be life adjustments that need to be made. They are all doable if you are keen. Of course, as he is 15 years old or if this isn't something you can do due to other commitments, then we may need to think about putting him dog.

So, this will be very much a case of whether you can offer this care for him as opposed to it being too much for him. Therefore, you will need to think about whether you can give him the level of treatment and commitment he needs. Finally, just to help you understand just what he needs, how to offer it, and what complications you could face, I would strongly advise a read of this site (HERE) written by owners of dogs with this condition. That way you will know whether this is an avenue you wish to go down with wee Cody.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )