Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Eng Cream Golden Retriever weighs 74 pounds ate turkey leg

Customer Question

Eng Cream Golden Retriever weighs 74 pounds ate turkey leg week after Thanksgiving without having time to chew it up
ate cat food Christmas at my daughter'S Fed chicken breast and rice half and half for a week for di-re-ah
Now constipated very stool little last 3 days yesterday nothing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he straining to pass stool?

Did he eat any turkey bones with that leg?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts about his constipation for your return.

Now as long as there is no risk that he ate any bones (which could cause a blockage, belly pain, paling gums), then there are some steps we can take to ease his signs and help him pass stool. To do this, there are a number of wee tricks that you can try at home. To start, you can try him with a bit of cow's milk since lactose sensitivity in dogs can lead to increased gut movement to get him passing stool again. Otherwise, you can also try giving him a few doses of cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, if he is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity and can help get things moving again. It'd be ideal to offer this with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting fluids into him. We need to also encourage him to drink since constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has access to fresh water at all times and you can even flavor this with a bit of milk or low salt chicken broth.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. If you find that he continues to struggle to pass feces, there is a risk of bone blockage, or doesn't do so in the next 12-24 hours (since its been a while already), then we'd want a check with his vet +/- an enema to get him cleared out here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet