Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My min pin is panting and shaking she is diabetic and 7yrs

Customer Question

My min pin is panting and shaking she is diabetic and 7yrs old?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the signs you are reporting for Luna, I am concerned that she is taking the prayer position (example) here. This is a sign of abdominal pain in dogs. And as I am sure you can appreciate, pain could certainly cause Luna to shake and pant. We can see this if they have severe gastroenteritis, something caught in the GI (if she has eaten something she should not have), and in cases of pancreatitis. And I would note that as a diabetic (a condition caused by that pancreas not producing enough insulin), she is at a high risk of pancreatitis.

In this situation, since she is showing us signs of pain, we'd want to have her seen urgently. Her vet can pinpoint which of these issues are present and get her started on gut safe pain relief +/- anti-nausea medication or antibiotics as needed. If your vet isn't open, then we may need to think about having her seen by an ER vet (which you can find via http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193) to address this for her as quickly as possible and get her comfortable.

Please take care,

Dr. B.