Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 3 year old Dachshund is hanging s head low... looks like

Customer Question

Customer: My 3 year old Dachshund is hanging his head low... looks like he is in pain and is shaking. His breathing is shallow and shaky as well... very quick in and out shuttering breathing (almost sounds like shallow grunting noises). He is going to dark places in the house and just laying there. His legs are shaking too.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I took him out to the yard to go to the bathroom and he just half-squatted and then sat down and wouldn't move. I had to carry him out to the yard... would not follow me
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing... his tummy is very stiff (as if he were flexing his muscles)... his tummy is usually very relaxed and soft. It is now tight and "full-looking"... like a drum.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Sticky or moist?

Can he raise his head? Can he use all his legs normally?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He passed away a couple days ago.